Was wondering about something. Prior to the Axioms I just ordered (but don't have yet), 2 pairs of speakers in a row got damaged. One was a pair of Klipsch's (which I had repaired), and one was a pair of very small Polks which went bad pretty much immediately after I got them. Tweeters don't function at all anymore, and one has a wicked rattle in addition.

Prior to those 2 pairs of speakers, I'd never damaged a speaker before in my life. Old cones repaired, sure, but not "blown" speakers. I don't really know what the prob is with the Polks, and the Klipsch's...I don't recall what that exact problem was called either....just seems like a heck of a coincidence that I went through so many years never hurting a pair of speakers and now the last 2 pair: boom.
but I'm wondering if one of my amplifiers is doing some funky things where it sends spikes of speaker killing power to my speakers.
One amp is an Onkyo 100 watt per ch. (very low hours on it) and the other is a small old Sansui, one of the early 70's solid state ones which I think has about 60 watts per channel.
I don't recall any incidents with either pair of speakers where it "sounded" like anything happened (no loud noises).
And the other thing is I don't recall which amp was in use either time.

Was wondering if you'd heard of such a possibility? that an amplifier can damage speakers, even without them being cranked up all the way? I guess I'd like to try and figure this out prior to hooking up the Axioms. I did read recently with regard to the old Sansui that there is some kind of start up procedure to be followed. Turn it on with volume down/speakers switched "off" until a certain click is heard, indicating the whole integrated amp is ready to go. Then you can turn it up. I had no clue about that though. Not sure if its even important to follow that.

thx!
Aunty Em
Florida

PS after the Klipsch's were repaired they were fine til I sold them..its not like it happened repeatedly

Last edited by Emzdogz; 10/30/09 11:21 PM. Reason: to add PS

Aunty Em
Tampa, FL