As Jake points out, the 80's do have an extra tweeter and midrange driver in each cabinet. I can't testify to the differences between the two like he can, but I can certainly boast about the M80's ability to produce outstanding detail. My normal seatin position is 17 feet away from my towers and in the center, right in the 'sweet spot'. However as of late I have been sitting at the end of the other couch which sits about 6 feet from my left main channel speaker. And let me tell you, sitting this close, the things I hear in my music... it's jaw dropping how well they reproduce sounds. And for some strange reason I have come to really love the sound at this angle. The right main channel speaker is about 12 feet from that seat, and the effect of having the signal from each speaker reaching my ear at different times expands the sound field to unimaginable levels. It's truely amazing. All this time I figured I had it best in the sweet spot, but now I'm really digging the exact opposite!

You have to hear this for yourself, it's totally insane how good these speakers are. Try em for 30 days, I'll bet you a case of beer they'll never get packed up and shipped back. You'll love them!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD