Hi seeking, I’m presently using an Onkyo 3007 to drive 8 speakers in an 8.1 setup. It’s calibrated for 80dB but I’ve played it at 100dB average w/o any distortion. I’ve also use it to drive just my M80s to 100dB average at 11 feet away again w/o any distortion. So IMO 300w/ch is overkill especially for the VP150 and QS8s which you will likely cross over near 80Hz.

I was just in your shoes trying to decide how to upgrade, separates or receiver. Both the “power” math and value lead me to getting a receiver. Any current Denon or Onkyo (and probably others) will give more processing options than the UMC-1. The ability to drive 7 to 9 channels (more with big bucks) w/o adding additional amps. And since I got one with pre-outs I can always amps to drive my M80s (the only speakers in my setup that IMO might benefit from more because I play them full range) or any of the other speakers.

Plus looking at the specs for the Emotiva stuff the only place they beat Onkyo and Denon is in the power department. While the UMC-1 does have some features most receivers don’t it’s trading that for less overall functionality.

Not to think I’m anti-Emotiva I have considered getting a XPA-3 for my front M80s should I ever feel I might benefit from more power. However, for now I don’t want to have to wear hearing protection while sitting in my living room so the Onkyo will do.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1