I used WinISD to help with the modeling. Really came in handy when trying to figure out the effects of different PEQ settings and their effect on response and cone excursion. I know that with the amp I have, in the box that I have, I don't need to worry about exceeding Xmax at any point. The amp will start to clip before I start to hear the driver complaining. What also helped was that Home Theater Shack had a ton specs for drivers in their database. It was just a matter of loading in the correct profile to get the TS parameters.

Previous to using the freeware, I used the Tempest application notes to get a brief overview of what a box this size can do.

I still may go with a 5.5 cuft ported design as it offers up FLAT response to 15hz AND higher efficiency. However, I have always been more partial to sealed designs so I'll see how this one works out for now.

Besides, since my wife was wondering about when the matching box for the other side of the couch was going to be completed, I'm willing to gamble that dual sealed 15's should work out well!

I'm such a noob when it comes to pro style amps. Would I need to rig a switch to power them on and off, or do I need to remember to turn them on and off all the time?

Last edited by BigHonu; 12/20/09 06:59 AM.