I did not think about or consider myself an "early adopter" in purchasing the BDP-83. Typically, I opt for the strategy of waiting for the second iteration to allow the kinks to be worked out. It never occurred to me......having said that, I also was in the mind set that if I keep waiting for the perfect beast or the most future proof product, I would never purchase. So....I read the reveiews, read the AVS comparison thread in its entirety(the owner's thread was insanely long) asked here (thanks Grunt) and made my purchase. So far, I am extremely pleased. As for the firmware upgrades - I am always at the edge of my envelope on technical issues - that is why I appreciate knowledgeable posters like Chris - the general consensus that I have read on numerous AVS owner threads is that the BlueRays are designed to play on a playstation due to its market saturation. Primary reason for opting for Oppo was their responsiveness on the FW upgrades........

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill