Originally Posted By: nickboros
The biggest problem with Blu-Ray is the movie studios. They are so worried about people stealing their products that they go to increasing measures to protect their product, even at the expense of alienating the consumer. All of this extra crap is a problem with almost any Blu-Ray player, since things are constantly changing and have to be fixed by firmware updates. I've only had a few Blu-Ray's that wouldn't play on the Oppo and they were all ones that were just released. How many DVD's have I run into that wouldn't play on the Oppo? Zero! And I watch more DVD's (from many regions) than I do Blu-Ray's.

I had my first movie the other day that wouldn't play as well, Inglourious Basterds. I have a Panasonic BD-55 and this was the first movie to not play. After upgrading the firmware, it worked fine, but I thought it was a bit odd as well.

I do also find handshaking a pain with the BD player as opposed to my other components, but it seems pretty stable once it has finished. Rarely (10% of the time perhaps) I'll get a dropout in the first couple minutes of a movie, but it comes back on for good pretty much every time.