Decided to borrow a Radio Shack SPL meter to calibrate by system. Thought it would take a little while but would be no big deal. Well, two days later, I’ve still got a headache from trying to interpret the subwoofer results. Any suggestions to my dilemma detailed below are GREATLY appreciated!!!

First, here’s my gear:
• Yamaha RX-V659
• Panasonic BD55K Blu Ray
o Connected via 7.1 analog outs to receiver inputs
o Internal 100Hz crossover in affect for “small” speaker setting
• Fronts: M22s, Center: VP150, Rears: 4 x QS8
• Sub: EP 500 (crossover @ 100Hz)
• Utilized audio tests from DVE Blu Ray Disc

First, using the pink noise tests (both the individual channel and the one that sweeps around the room), I was able to set the levels of the 7 main channels to 70db w/ less than +/- 1db variance. Settings were very close to what I came up w/ utilizing the built in test tone on the receiver. During the pink noise test, I set the sub @ 4-6db higher but I had to turn the sub volume down to the very minimum to get this done. This concerned me, but I moved on.

Problems arose when it came to the subwoofer phase test. Keeping the meter set @ 70db, I captured the following results: 30Hz (+4db), 40Hz (too high to measure), 50Hz (0db), 60Hz (-8db), 70Hz (too low to measure), 80/90Hz (-4db).

Too improve the results; I tried every trim setting as well as switching the phase. Ended up best at 0° phase and Flat trim setting. Never could get close to any consistent results. The huge drop off between 60-70Hz never improved. Currently, the sub is located against the wall, behind the front left channel (which is on a stand) next to my 65”DLP (also on a stand). No wall exists on the opposite side of the sub. Could possibly move it to the other side of the TV into a corner but was thinking that would result in a “boomy” sound.

Well, I gave up and decided to throw a few movies in. I must say that the balance of the 7 main channels was nice. Not one over powered the other during Optimus Prime’s battle w/ the Decepticons or when Neo/Trinity fought the in the famous lobby/roof top scene. That piece to the puzzle seemed to fit nicely. But my once powerful & impressive EP500 was reduced to a small rumble/thud every now and then. Disgusted and tired of having my wife upset w/ me over an hour of pink noise tests, I went to bed and gave the meter back to my friend the next day.

I have read so many articles now about subwoofer setup that my head hurts. Some say to do this, some say to do that. To compound the issue, I even found some postings on the web about the DVE disc’s subwoofer test being useless due to the test tones chosen.

Can anyone please help……!!!!
Thanks,
Trey