Hi all. I'm sincerely hoping for some input from some of you guys who know a lot more than me. I'm more knowledgable about audio/electronics than your average layperson, but I am no audiophile.

About 10 years ago, after I graduated from college, I bought two Polk floorstanding speakers at Circuit City; cost me ~$250 for the pair. I don't t know the model number, but they have one tweeter and two 5-1/2" drivers each. I've always been very happy with them for the money I put into them, but I've always known they were only modest speakers. I eventually bought an 8" Polk powered sub (~$300 at Circuit City) to pair with them, and these have comprised my "home theater" audio (yes, only stereo) as well as my primary music listening setup for a number of years. Recently I decided it was time to start moving up to "big boy" audio, and invest in something I could enjoy for years.

So I ordered and received last week a pair of Axiom M60's and a VP150 center speaker. My intention is to eventually end up with a nice 5.1 setup, but I'll do it in pieces. Phase 1 is 3.1 with the M60's, VP150 and (for now) the 8" Polk sub. First let me say, in sheer physical size the M60's dwarf the old Polks. They are slightly taller but noticeably wider and much, much deeper. I'd say in cubic volume the M60's are 50% bigger than the old speakers - maybe more. And they look great! Impressive to the eyeball test. \:\)

Here's the issue. I have everything hooked up, and honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with the result thus far. The M60's are a modest improvement, but they do not sound like the upgrade over the Polk floorstanders that I expected and want them to be. It's primarily music CD's I've listened to - and a couple movies - but I'm overwhelmingly speaking of music. I expected more "airy-ness", more clarity, more separation of the instruments/sounds that make up a song - than I can hear. I really, really, really want to like these speakers and I'm hoping something else in my setup is to blame. Please give me any comments and/or ask any questions you care to. I would be appreciative.

I'm driving them with a several-years-old pre-HDMI Onkyo 5.1 receiver. I *think* it's model TX-SR505. I know it's listed at 75 watts per channel. It certainly isn't a high-end receiver (I think I paid $400 for it back in the day), but I've used it with my previous speakers and it was adequate. Could this receiver be holding back the M60's for any reason? Do I really need more power? I specifically passed on the M80's because I thought the M60's (at 8 ohms) would be easier to drive without a higher-end receiver. Now I do intend to eventually have a high-end receiver, and I could get one if need be, but I had planned to do this in chunks. The receiver would probably have come after all the speaker units were replaced.

My living room is laid out odd, and this may not help. It's about 14' x 20' with 9' walls that then taper up to a vaulted ceiling. Best I can tell it's about 280 square feet and about 3500 cubic feet (counting the vaulted area above). Also two of the walls have wide partial openings to the foyer and kitchen. Because of these openings the 50" television (on a stand) and speakers are oriented in the corner of the room, thus without a perpendicular wall behind them. However, I have the M60's pulled a good 12-15 inches away from the slanting wall behind them to let them breathe, and the VP150 sits on a shelf in my TV stand with an open back, so none of the speakers are right up against the wall. The room is carpeted, no hardwood, and due to the openings in the wall I really don't feel like reflections are a big issue (again, I'm no expert). I'm wondering if room acoustics could play a role, but I really don't have a better option to situate the speakers better than where they are.

And how about break-in period? I know speakers need time to sound "permanent". I've been leaving a 5-disc changer of music CD's playing each morning when I go to work to help out. In fairness, I've had them only 6 days now, but I figure the speakers have about 35-ish hours of play time on them. Maybe they just need more time before they sound right?

Again, thanks SO MUCH for any insight offered. I REALLY want desperately for my setup to be what I want it to be. I know the M60's are high quality, but I just don't feel like I'm getting "something" from the setup. My old system is clearly inferior but seems like it sounded 80% as good. I just feel like the M60's are better than that.

Thanks again!

CD