My amp has a modified protection circuit that is not as aggressive as a stock XPA-2. I mentioned it in another thread, but not here.

I know others have had issues with the XPA-2 and other amps with the M80s. Its a shame because when they work together the results IMO are hard to beat for the money.

I think some of the harshness I perceived without the sub may be due to having less bass to balance the highs. Not to mention the amp is spending a lot more energy on bass then it is with the crossover in place.

I didnt mean to say that the woofers are hitting a point where they are reaching their mechanical limitation. they are moving to a point where I wonder how much farther I want to push them. The sound of the woofers is somewhat less clean to me at this point.

It does sound like their are other differences in our two amps beside the protection circuit. I am using 14ga in wall speaker wire purchased from Lowes.

I also have had the opportunity of trying an older pair of M80s that my friend bought used. My amps had no issue driving them either. I will say an M80 laying on its side makes an interesting center channel. I hope they do decide to sell a horizontal version of the M80.

Dan & Lonnie from emotiva saw/heard my M80s at a St. Louis GTG. There they were being driven by a pair of XPA-1's which I would love to have.

M80,VP150,QS8,ERD-1,XPA-2,XPA-5,UMC-10,PS3,XBOX360,Dish VIP622,PB13 Ultra,Panasonic PT-AE3000U