Denver Post

Longmont Times-Call

Daily Camera

The actual indictment is linked in the longmont link above.

I’ve followed the issues with AV123 for some time out of a sense of Schadenfreude for the former AV123 fanboys commiserating with each other on various forums. So I figured I’d post this for anyone who’s interested and doesn’t get around much.

Also, should Axiom feel this post/thread or any part of it is inappropriate in any way I would not construe deletions of parts or it’s removal as inappropriate censorship of any kind.

Mainly I wanted to use this development to punctuate something I’ve been thinking about for a long time and use it as an opportunity to talk about things people, especially those new to online audio purchases, might learn from the warning signs that I saw in AV123 over 3 years ago causing them to not even make my long list and why Axiom despite it’s detractors got my business.

Use your intuition. If it sounds to good to be true it just might be. This should be a big red flag saying you should do more in depth checking.

Be suspicious of over-the-top testimonials from owners. If something really is a game changer everyone would be reviewing it, the other manufacturers would all be scrambling to make their own version and none would be in stock because of all the demand. Hell just ignore most posts in internet forums until you’ve read enough of someone’s posts to get a feel if they are blowing smoke up you’re a$$. BTW a big row of green “Chiclets” doesn’t mean their opinion is worth a crap nor does their post count. If you really want to validate what an internet forum denizen is saying use the “find other post by” feature to check up on other things they’ve said. OTOH, make positive note of forums where people promote a competitors products like when I first posted an interest here.

Be suspicious of testimonials/reviews that are 100% positive. Nothing is perfect, and to meet certain price points trade-offs are needed. While some of these trade-offs might be indistinguishable for most users a good professional reviewer should find them.

Be suspicious of owners who spend huge amounts of time in internet forums promoting their products.

Just because your friend/relative swears buy the company doesn’t mean they really know a damm thing about it.

Look for third party measurements.

Look for multiple independent reviews of the same product/company.

Lookup the companies owners. Doesn’t hurt to know what the owners track record is.

In some cases traditional recourses like the BBB might help. Alternatively some counties have court records online so you can check to see if the company or it’s owners have been sued by any customers or criminal charges have been filed against them.

Established companies are safer than new ones. Doesn’t mean not to consider a new startup just that w/o a track record who knows if they’ll be in business long enough to service the warranty on the first item the sold.

Companies with a capital investment in research/production facilities are likely a safer investment than those who contract out everything acting more like a buyers club.

Be suspicious of high MSRPs with routine sales of 30% or more off on continuing products. Steep discounts on new items to get them out and talked about or to clear out old models to make room for new ones can make sense. However, routine big discounts on continuing stock says two things. The MSRP is over inflated and the company doesn’t respect it’s customers.

In some cases traditional recourses like the BBB might help. Alternatively some counties have court records online so you can check to see if the company or it’s owners have been sued by any customers or criminal charges have been filed against them.

This certainly is not an exhaustive list so please add things you have learned about shopping on for audio or any other products online.

Last edited by grunt; 02/27/10 05:15 AM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1