Hey guys, I currently have two hard drives in my computer. One has Windows XP on it, and the other has Windows 7 release candidate. They are currently in a dual-boot setup.

Now that the Windows 7 release candidate has expired, I need to do a fresh install with the full version of Windows 7, but I want to keep my computer as a dual-boot setup.

I understand that I have to partition the drive that I currently have Windows 7 release candidate installed on, and reinstall the full version on it, but I don't want any of the install files going to my second hard drive.

I believe it was Chris that provided me with his method which is as follows- "I get around this by making sure the only drive in the machine when I install Windows is the same drive I'm going to be booting from. I then put my other drives back in after the install is done. I use the BIOS to pick the boot drive, and thus the OS I'm going to load at that time. So I have Win7 on one, and Linux on another, both assuming their the first drive in the machine, and thus directly bootable."

My main question I have is can I not just disconnect the cable running from one hard drive to the other until the installation is finished, then plug them back in together? Also, with the boot.ini file already set up for my dual-boot (I'm virtually positive it set up on the XP side because that OS was installed first), won't I be prompted with the boot selection screen when I install the full version of Windows 7?

If someone could give me detailed step-by-step instructions on how to go about this it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to do it myself and save some money on what is somewhat a menial task.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. Your help is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks,
Cam

Last edited by wheelz999; 03/01/10 07:07 PM.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.