Originally Posted By: Cork
I'm 99% sure I'm going to get some M22s for my study. (Got my son some M3s and I loved those.) It's a smaller room, ~14x13; so if that's not a good mix I'd be interested in hearing so.

Congrats on the decision. M22's are the best bang-for-the-buck speakers that Axiom makes (IMHO, of course). They'll be brilliant in a room that size. My M22's are currently in a room that's about 14x16, and they do a marvelous job at filling that room with glorious sound.

But my real question is, is there any harm in installing them high, tilting them sideways, and angling them down? I'm really crunched for space in this room, and that would be my easist option.

You won't damage the speakers by mounting them in an unorthodox manner. I mean, unless of course you drop one. M22's are kind of heavy. If you're using a bracket system, make sure it's sturdy and screwed into studs.

Acoustically speaking, it shouldn't be a problem to mount them upright but angled down. But you may degrade the SQ a bit by mounting them sideways. I know that Axiom has said that it's not a good idea to place their non-center speakers on their side, as it affects the dispersion characteristics of the tweeter. It doesn't mean they'll sound BAD, just less than optimal.

One more question, I was planning on setting the crossover at 90 or 100hz, just based on the freq resp graph. But I really don't know what I'm doing, is that a good decision. (I currently have a really low end sub in this room; but I figure it's better than not using one.)

If your receiver have some sort of automatic setup feature (Audyssey, MCACC), then it will figure out the crossover on its own. If not, 100hz is a good crossover for M22's. I run my M22's full range now (2.0 system), but when they were in my 5.1 room, I used 100hz.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office