My country's SVS dealer loan me the SVS MCS-01, which is a GIANT center speaker
The 1st word my wife saw it and she said:"What a BIG BIG potato!! Don't you ever dream of buying that and put in the living room!!"
There goes my intention of owning it even before testing it \:\(

A simple 1st time review as compared to my Axiom VP150

Appearance
HUGE!!! at 10" x 24" x 13", it's look like it's even larger than my Emotiva XPA-3!! and weight 17.5kgs!!
the height of the speakers blocked slightly like 0.5" of my TV which is 9.5" from the table
The reflection of the Piano finished is a turn off as it reflected everything from my screen...

Setup
Simple enough, just unplug my the VP150 and plug in my speaker cable with dual spring banana plug and there it goes....but 1st need to "hug" the thing from the box to the table...

The sound
Ok, the most important part.
Processed by Marantz SR6003 and powered by Emotiva XPA-3, since the unit had been run in at the dealer's place, I just crank it up.
Tonal balance blend nicely with my Axiom M60 main and did not notice of any timbre mismatch. Did not run any calibration, just pop in "Celine Dion: Live in Vegas" Celine Dion:Live in Las vegas and select the song "I Am Alive".....immediately notice the clarity and more dynamic mid range as compared with the VP150

Then, I put in Storm Warrior II (A HK production based on comics by Ma Weng Seng) (Storm Warrior II) , the opening scene with dts-ma 7.1 selected, when "Mou Meng" engage "Man Kiem Kuai Zhong", the sound were terrific, can literally felt the swords are flying around you, and with the MCS-01, the colliding sound of the flying swords are more realistic than the VP150, and the dialog from "Chiit Mou San" also clearer even though he spoke very softly and less muffle compared to the VP150.

After that, pop in "AFQ Live" AFQ concert.....in dts-ma 5.1, I felt a more vibrant guitar sound and notice improvement on small details from the larger woofer (7" vs 5.25" of the VP150) and 2 big bass port at the back. Those size really helps bring out the sound of the concert.....

The thing cost $479+ vs the VP150 at $408, worth it?
Yes if you have a big room, but on a smaller room, unless u wanna play really loud, and for the mere $71, if you have the space for it huge size and a power amp to drive it, I would say it perform remarkably value for money and better than the VP150 in most way.

Just my take.....but not gonna buy it as it lack WAF looks \:\)

Last edited by mpyw; 03/24/10 09:50 AM.