Ok I’m finally dragging myself kicking and screaming into the mobile media age starting from scratch (i.e. I have nothing not even a cell phone or a laptop anymore). All the help sites I’m finding are geared to just one or two uses so it would help for me to narrow down my search to what types of devices I would benefit from. So here are the main things I’m looking for in order of priority:

Required:

Playing mp3 (possibly other formats) of audio in my car which presently has only an AM/FM cassette player (add car).

Play movies and TV shows at work on a built in screen (w/option to hook up to larger screen and play from CD/DVD nice).

Play movies, TV shows, mp3s on long 13 hour plane flights (w/option to hook up to larger screen in hotels and play from CD/DVD nice).

Access internet at work w/o using the DOD network (have to check if other hot spots available or cell only access).

Wireless network with my home network and allow me to control what music is playing. (Presently running Media Monkey on my Vista box with files stored on a NAS but willing to entertain other options).

Access internet world wide (most likely from hotspots in hotels and military bases but from a cell network wouldn‘t suck).

Nice:

I would prefer to stay away from needing to convert to proprietary file formats.

Playing turn based strategy games nice.

Ability to run or recharge off foreign electrical grids w/o a transformer very nice.

Access Netflix “Watch Instantly” content most anywhere.

Access my NAS anywhere.

Any other cool feature I haven’t thought about yet being so out of the loop on this.

I have no specific budget but prefer not to buy “bleeding edge” tech. Multiple devices are not a problem and having some redundancy on trips might be nice I just want to avoid getting something only to find out I doesn’t accomplish something I thought it could do and then have to buy something else.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1