Coffee geek here. I've graduated to a Silvia machine (from a Krups then Gaggia Evolution) and a Rocky grinder. I agree, the grinder is definitely NOT the place to skimp. If you have to, get a manual Zassenhaus to tide you over. I got the Silvia just in case I wanted to hack it w/ PID control. Haven't gone that far yet.

As far as beans, I'm also in the fair trade side. For Ken in SF, I'd HIGHLY recommend Ritual Roasters on Valencia. Their Sweet Tooth Espresso can be heavenly. So complex with tons of flavor. They do mail as well. Barefoot in the South Bay is my fav. They do mail order and I'd recommend the Element 114 or Sweetness if you have patience to get the draw just right.

For canned, you can't beat Illy. I always liked that.

And for the newbies, you could always start w/ a stove top Moka pot. The French have used it for years, and it's one thing I'd agree w/ them on. ;\) Great for traveling and camping.

I also do Arabic coffee (with the cardamum). I get it when I or my friends go to Israel. I have an iBrick and it takes some practices (and mess) to get it right but it's a strong coffee that puts hair on your chest.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 04/11/10 03:46 AM.