Originally Posted By: Potatohead

Would someone generally be better off buying an EQ like this, or buying a second sub? I know the second sub will help level frequency response, and increase headroom and output, but I can't imagine it would help as much as the EQ assuming you have ample headroom already with the single sub? Those graphs are pretty impressive.

Originally Posted By: 1sweetspot

I have a similar question to potatohead...would it be better to but this EQ than a better sub? I have a not too too bad sub now, and that EQ is a few hundred less than the ones I've been looking into.

I agree that the graph is very impressive but remember that was only for one seat in the sweet spot. Today I gave a listen in the seats I hadn’t run the EQ for and the bass sounded worse than I have ever heard it (remember I only ran the EQ for one seat). I imagine that to EQ multiple seats the final curve will not be nearly so good since it will have to average things out across the whole row(s) and right now the “perfect curve“ for the sweat spot is clearly screwing up the adjacent seats.

I hope to re-run the EQ across both one row and two rows of seats Friday after work, just to much going on right now to do it sooner.

Hopefully I can get Sean over hear fairly soon with his two identical subs so we can compare how the EQ1 does over multiple seats vs two subwoofers and since it will EQ two subwoofers we can also do two subs + the EQ1.

My understanding is that because no one curve can be ideal for all seats it’s usually better to get a second subwoofer before applying EQ as it will even things out better so that the EQ doesn’t have to do as much should you also choose to use it.

Originally Posted By: fredk

Dean. Wow, thats some mid bass suckout you have there! I had the opposite problem a hughe midbass peak at 54Hz. left me with less rumble.

Yes it is a big hole in the midbass which is one reason I’ve been toying with the idea of midbass modules but I’d rather have a more all encompassing solution before going that route.

Fred how many bands does your BFD have, and can you set them any way you want so if you want a bit of a midbass hump you can dial that in? Also, I assume one BFD will only EQ one sub is that correct. Plus does it help to properly set the timing delay. Another big improvement I’ve noticed is that the M80s and EP500 seem much more closely matched timing wise with the EQ1 compared to the Audyssey in the Onkyo.

The tweaker in me would like to be able to set up my own target curve so if say I want a midbass hump I can put it there since I can still get plenty of very low end with my Buttkicker. I haven’t researched to see if the Pro version allows user defined target curves but my understanding is that it does.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1