Originally Posted By: chesseroo
That was a long but well thought out rant and i agree with Micah 100%...

Hey thanks! But uh... Lol, it actually wasn't so much well thought out as it was me blowing off steam! Haha \:D

Curiosity finally got the best of me and I started to google 3D TV's to see what a 65 inch model is going to cost them 'early adopters' (I'm with you Grunt, I'll sit back and let the 'gotta have it' crowd swoop in & pay 15 times what it's going to cost in 24 months). I found a pretty wide gap. First off I saw a 42 inch 3D set for $8k. So immediately I figured, "oh yeah, 65 inch sets won't be cheap"!

But then I found a 55 inch Samsung (I believe) that was '3D ready' for $3200... WTF? Is there a difference between 3D & 3D ready? I was confused so I started researching 3D even further. That's when I started finding out things like the fact that the glasses will probably be brand specific, not universal. So if you buy a 3D set for the movie room, and somewhere down the line you wwant to put another one in the family room you'll have to make sure they're the same brand or you may have to buy separate glasses for each set. Ridiculous!!!

I also read some manufacturers touting technology a few years out that will bring 'no glasses needed' 3D TV's into our living rooms. The only trouble with those sets are that they are very 'sweet-spot' oriented. So then I read where still others are developing the 2nd generation 'glassless' sets that will have a wider viewing angle.... And I got so pissed off that they are bringing the technology out 'as is' anyway, even though its flawed, they know its flawed, and they know how to fix the flaws, but in the meantime want us all to invest in the flawed product while they work all the kinks out. That really bugged me. Because if the technology they are working on requires a different broadcasting signal, and the stations that will be broadcasting the 3D channels switch over to this new signal, its going to leave everyone who's buying into today's 3D technology with a completely useless TV, BD player and everything else.

I don't know enough about the technology, so I don't know if that will come to pass or not? But that was the impression I got while investigating it. And I worked myself up into such a tizzy over it I jumped on here and basically opened the 'relief' valve and got all my thoughts off my chest. Admittedly once I logged on and read what I'd written the next day, I thought I came off a bit like a stark raving mad lunatic!

I'm glad I was at least able to fool you. ;\)

Last edited by Micah; 05/20/10 07:32 PM. Reason: typed it out on Blackberry

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD