Hi Micah. Here is the explanation I got when I asked one of the lead engineers at Peavey about what some of the ratings on one of their new amps meant.

Keep in mind that pro amps are usually driven harder than consumer equipment.
----------------

Hi Fred

Normal use is 1/8 power. That means uncompressed music up to but not exceeding clip. Clipping will compress the material. Safety agency requirements are that the amplifier does not thermal at 1/8 power while at 10% high line (132VAC) at the minimum rated impedance. The 1/8 power is based on what the manufacturer rates the amp for, or whatever UL measures, whichever is higher. Their concern is that there is no nuisance tripping to encourage a consumer to go into the amp and defeat the thermal protection.

The current draw figures in the spec sheet represent current consumption at normal (1/8) and severe (1/3) duty cycles. The consumption is stated for the three rated load impedances.

Hope that helps

----------------------------------

The question came about when he talked about UL tests where they are required to draw maximum rated power for x seconds before they trip the protection circuitry.

Here is the thread the post came from. If you want to learn a little more about amps and amp design, its a great thread to read. It does have the obligatory multiple pages of troll posts that show up in most interesting threads at avs, but its worth wading through those for the info the thread contains.

Oh yeah. On RMS power, I think this is more a marketing invention than anything else. Amp ratings in the car audio world are not subjected to the same level of regulation as consumer audio.

No doubt Johnk will be along shortly to correct my on my mistakes.

Last edited by fredk; 06/24/10 07:00 AM.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!