Originally Posted By: CV
Even if the v3s aren't the major improvement the anonymous review claims, I'm still curious about the "higher end aspirations soon to come" referenced by Audioholics. I'm wondering what exact differences in components will make them higher-end. We know that more expensive crossover parts aren't getting the love, so does this mean a higher-end line of drivers, different cabinet materials/construction techniques, or both? Any theories?

No idea except that with most things one quickly reaches a point of diminishing returns. If one's goal is to make an accurate sounding speaker I’m not sure how much more accurate you can make it per unit cost before things like room and placement issues overshadow incremental improvements for most people. IMO most people would realize a greater SQ improvement by spending the extra money on room treatments or other things than more expensive speakers, but unfortunately when making such purchases too many people loose sight of utility value spending their money on things that make small differences while overlooking the ones that might make big differences.

The issue of curtains/partitions we are discussing in the other thread is a perfect example of what I’m talking about. Instead of spending an additional $2,500 on “better” speakers I bought curtains. The curtains do improve my SQ both by taming reflections making for more accurate reproduction of multi-channel tracks (real or DSP derived). They also minimize distractions which enhances the sense of “being there” in the move/concert. Audio perception isn’t just about sound waves it’s also about state of mind.

I think one of the biggest differences Axiom could make would be to produce some large 2-way designs. I like the wall-of-sound presentation of the M80s for most things but there are times especially for acoustical music prefer the more precise imaging and less forward sound of speakers like Sean’s. While the M2s get close to the imaging but they don’t have the bass extension I want out of a 2ch speaker.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1