Originally Posted By: fredk
Not really. You want the same tight bass for movies that do for music. Sloppy bass = poorly defined boom instead of the whump/thump you should get from explosions.

Yes and no. I agree completely that you want lots of bass *and* tight bass but if you are buying at a certain price point and making tradeoffs then your happiness with those tradeoffs will, in part, be a function of the content you are playing most of the time.

Again, I disagree. The port and cabinet of the sub act as an ampifyer to boost the bottom end of the sub, but they only amplify what the driver puts out.

Sure, but the degree of amplification can vary and the port output doesn't die out as quickly as the driver output.

What affects the 'speed" of the bass is driver design: motor strength, syspension compliance, driver linearity. If you have a ported sub that produces sloppy bass, its the driver design.

I'm certainly not saying the driver doesn't matter, but the cabinet & port (and the damping material, to some extent) make a significant difference as well.

Lots of bass for movies will comes from driver displacement. You need a big driver and/or lots of driver exscursion to produce those deep pressure waved we like from action movies.

The 'hit you in the chest' bass actually comes from the upper bass and may well come partially or even mostly from your mains if you have a lower crossover.

Can't disagree with any of this.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8