Originally Posted By: Capn_Pickard
Originally Posted By: alan
Cap'n, I totally misread your post. I think sometimes because of room modes or perhaps running the sub a bit "hot", the articulation of, say, stand-up acoustic bass is perhaps a little more precise with the sub off.

So ignore some of my blather about "predicting", etc.

Alan

Yeah - I read my post again and I wasn't very clear. In an attempt to say it more clearly:

With a sub, there is more bass, and the room sounds fuller, although the bass tends to be a little bloated and amorphous.

Without the sub, the M60s are punchy and musical (notes are clearly articulable, as opposed to just a deep drone sound). It certainly doesn't go as deep, but for some music, it is preferable, as the sound stage seems a little more clear.

Comparing the "punchiness" - without a sub, it's like getting hit with a closed fist. With a sub, it's like getting steam-rolled by a bull-dozer made of pillows. The force might be the same, but the effect is different.

And thanks for the "welcome back." It had been too long.

I agree with you here Capn.
I like the sub for any speaker, but only to pick up the very low end beyond the speaker's range to play.
For music, you won't miss much that the M80 doesn't play but orchestral material and certainly pipe organs need a sub to get any volume from the source content.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."