Hi Axiom Enthusiasts! I'm a newbie on a modest budget assembling a 3.1 system (I may add surrounds eventually but not now). This is for a small living room (15x15x9) with some logistical/placement hurdles; thus going with bookshelves as fronts. System will be used 50/50 for music/ht, but I am more concerned with sound quality for music than ht.

My budget has climbed as I have learned more (shocking, I know) and I'm now needing to stand firm at ~$1200 max. I pulled the trigger on a Pioneer VSX-1020-K for $370 on Amazon. This leaves around $800 or so for LCR and sub. Tactically - since I am more concerned with music, I'm anticipating that it may be worth delaying the center channel purchase if it means better sub and fronts at the outset.

So as you experienced hands know and I have now learned - boy are there are a lot of bookshelf speakers out there in the $300-$400 range! My short list based on reading only was:

Def Tech Promonitor 800 (or 1000's if a good open box deal could be had)
Polk Audio RTIA1
Axiom M3
Aperion Intimus 4B
Boston CS26 (mostly becuase I loved my old A150's)

I listened to the Def Techs with some of my own CD's. I liked them but can't see using even the 1000s w/o a sub for music or ht. Heard them with and without a Def Tech Pro Sub 800 and with the sub they were sweet. Without they left me wanting, especially the 800s... Using the 1000s in 3.1 for spider man demo (with a procenter 1000) was impressive though I thought a bit shrill. Maybe it was the material.

I also listended to the RTIA1's on their own and they were nice; I think I may go for another listen. Did not get a listen to these in combination with center or sub but on their own they were certainly more range-y than the def tech 1000s were. Also not harsh or overly bright to my ear as some say of Polks. It was a tough bigbox environment though - still some uncertainty there.

I was disappointed by the CS26; and am shying away from the Aperions based on specs (harder to drive?).

Which brings me to the M3. I have lurked on this forum and read enough reviews to know they are beloved, but I have not had a chance to hear them. I'm willing to take a chance on a trial/return shipping costs but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone here might be able to characterize them - subjectively I understand - relative to the RTIA1 or even the Def Techs? I like what I have read about them; but was hoping to gain some added frame-of-reference.

Sorry for long-winded preamble to a basic question... any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob