So my brother hired a sound engineer to help him set up his new audio system.

It is the one you've seen here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1152809

He called me last night with some reports of the measurements the audio guy was getting from his calibration. The measurements showed a -9db hole in the sub response in the "important frequency range" which I am assuming is right around 40-60hz.

He also said that the audio guy didn't like the settings I had made on the SVS sub. I had simply turned off the crossover (he had set it to 80hz and was doubling up the receiver crossover) and I set the tuning mode on the SVS to 15hz instead of 20hz since he hadn't installed the foam plugs that the switch is designed to work with.

He also said that the audio guy measured a -9db hole in the "important male voice frequencies" and said it was extremely wide.

This got me skeptical about how he was measuring the speakers. Apparently he was positioning the mic INSIDE the port for the sub to isolate it. He was also putting a mic directly in front of the main speakers and measuring their response and calibrating from there. I'm not sure what he does to "calibrate" the sound.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I was always told to measure from the seating positions because of the room effects. This is why Audessey room correction measures from as many seating positions as possible. Why is the audio guy measuring the speakers this way? Shouldn't he just set up the Audessey and run if he wants to equalize the room? From everything I've read, the algorithms it runs are way more effective than a dude with a point source mic. Especially one that measures right in front of the speaker.