Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I want to be clear about something, since I know that Audioholics users are monitoring content here.

I think there are four separate issues here.

1. Axiom refused to participate in the shootout. Noted. In the context of what you know about Axiom, about Audioholics, about the hobby and about hobbyists, feel free to draw your own conclusions. No problem there.

2. Axiom pulled advertising from Audioholics. This is their prerogative based on their relationship and their perceived value.

3. Audioholics is having a subwoofer shootout which they purport to have objectivity, rigorous testing and quantifiable results.

4. Gene DellaSala CHOSE TO COMBINE all of these factors into one editorial. He is the one who implied a correlation between these things.

I mourn the death of Journalism. There is a reason why Editors don't sell advertising and Advertising Reps don't write editorials.

Well said Tom, very well thought out with some excellent common sense points. This will be my last word on this, however, the more I ponder this I also think there is an irony here in that, within the last two or three years Gene has made FOUR trips to Axiom's manufacturing facility in Dwight so he has seen exactly how the R&D is carried out within the company and obviously also became very familiar with the design philosophy behind the testing and eventual product introduction. He probably has never visited most speaker companies facilities even once let alone four times.

One would would have thought, given the more than casual knowledge about Axiom and its operations, he would have had some sort of discussion with Ian about this and what they planned on doing with this sub "shoot-out" and the parameters so it would be fair and agreeable to all, yet we now have a sarcastic article and a complete severing of what was a pretty long term close relationship.

Very strange, obviously something additional happened here which we will probably never learn about.