CatBrat - I'm not that skilled nor that brave to start building shelves as you've suggested. I'd love to have you over to build it, though - if you'd like to take a road-trip smile

grunt - no, not concerned about the entertainment units - just the shelf collapsing. It's kinda hard to explain without a picture. The shelf is pretty sturdy considering how it's attached to each entertainment unit. Not sure its 60lbs sturdy thought.

I am considering your idea, though. I'm also considering adding a brace that will sit behind the TV, using the TV stand as its support and running up to the shelf to support it from behind. This may also be beyond my wood-working skills but I think I might be able to find someone to help me out (like my father-in-law).

Or I could stack a few dozen pucks to use as a support. They're black and wouldn't be noticeable - and I think I'm skilled enought to stack pucks. That's hockey pucks for anyone wondering what a "puck" is smile I've only got a couple hundred sitting in my shed begging to be used.

Is the VP180 really worth the upgrade to go through the hassle of augmenting my shelf to support it? To be honest, aesthetically I still think I like the VP150. The VP180 looks so big smile Maybe I just need to get used to it.

One thing's for sure - I don't think I'll be able to squeeze this upgrade by my wife. There's no way she won't notice it immediately.

Last edited by icehawk21; 11/12/10 04:07 AM.