>> ... isn't much information in terms of actual "real" reviews ... you are an AVS forum member notify them and you will get 15% off your order ...

Thanks DrH. I'm a lurk-only AVS member, but I am a member and didn't see that on their site. Although when I poked around I also saw that user reviews of the Lavas were hard to come by. This might be good for me to experiment with (I've been upgrading my music system, Axioms on the mains for music; mini-Advents on the surrounds for the occassional movie); I also got an interesting reco for a Dayton kit on the HTF site; so probably one of theose for me next year.

>> there isn't any apparent "music" reason not to go with the STF-2

Thanks John. Since there's no drawback with using it for music I think I'm going to take the safe route and go that way. The price it right and I've seen too many positive recos for Hsu to play around with this.

I'll add that I went cheap last year and got my son a lower end Polk. That was a huge mistake, it was really bad. I returned it and got him something else, so I don't want to be returning another sub.