Hi all

My wife and I are looking to upgrade our theater's sound. While I've looked at the packages here I'm interested in opinions and recommendations.

We are currently looking at the M80 theater package with the VP180. However, I'm also interested in an all M80 package - using M80's for mains and rears and VP180 for the center without a sub (the wife doesn't like stands and likes the towers – yaa me wink ). The reason for no sub is my current setup has 4 bookshelf speakers (set up as large through my amp) on stands with a large center channel, a pair of QS8's and a sub - which hasn't been hooked up for years. I find I haven't missed the deep low end for TV or movies since my book shelf's have large woofers and can go quite low.

My theatre room is in a basement, therefore concrete floors with laminate and double drywall walls. It measures 12' x 20'x 7.5' with some materials used to limit reflections but no traps. The current sound is quite good but is over 15 years old now, except for the center and QS8's.

My main concern going to M80's only is power requirements. I have a Poineer reciever rated at 120 w per channel @ 8 or 6 ohms, meaning it probably tops out closer to 70 per channel. Since I'll not have a sub, the power needed for the M80's (and probably the VP180 also) will be high to get the low end these speakers produce. I know Axioms are very efficent speakers, better than my bookshelf's but will I need more amplification? If so, I am looking at some NAD power amps that will get me the to the real 100+ w per channel. I've looked at Axiom's A1400 but it's a little too pricey.

I think that's enough to start. Please chime in your thoughts and impressions and anyone who has gone with a similar M80 setup I'd be very interested in your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

M80's, VP180 and QS8's.
Marantz AV 7005 pre/pro
Outlaw 7700 power amp
SVS SB12 sub