Cam our cabinet is framed 2x4s with drywall on the exterior and 3/4" MDF for the interior sides, back and shelves. The rear wall of the cabinet is actually what was originally the cinderblock exterior of the house and it doesn't have any openings going into the other room at all, the ventilation consist of a 2" wide slot which runs the width of the upper rear of the cabinet interior that vents into the attic and a couple of PC fans on top of the amp and AVR which works very well.

The cabinet was actually measured and built for a Middle Atlantic rack and the sliding drawers was originally going to be a temporary solution but almost six years later I still haven't taken the plunge to unload the four grand on the rack and will probably have the temporary shelves in place for a while longer. The slide rails are heavy duty cabinet rails from Home Depot and they have locks that enable you to take the shelves completely out, are easy to install, will hold a boatload of weight and slide very easily. To install the slide rails you just measure and level the two rails for a shelf and screw the rails to the side wall of the cabinet, because of the sliding capability they are not attached to the back wall at all and on my particular application there is about six or seven inches between the back of the shelves and the rear wall of the cabinet for cabling and ventilation.

Can you build a rack into the laundry area with just a nicely trimmed wall opening next to the door Cam or would that intrude too much into the laundry area? If you can, that would be an EZPZ build and having access to the rear of the components like that would be ideal, a first consideration if I were to build another cabinet. Also you can do something as simple as using velro to attach a 1/8" thick smoothed finished wood panel to cover the back of the cabinet going into the laundry area for a quick and easy access to the components.

That Avtrac is another rack I looked at a while back, it's a neat setup.

Thanks 2x6, yep an old H/K with the Sony MegaChangers ... which needs a serious update.

Rick
Our Room

smile