I have an EP500. I bought it about 5 months ago. I use it exclusively for home theater. My receiver is a Denon 4311. The sub is great however I have a recurring issue that really annoys me.

On occasion, something will happen to the sub and it will play at a much reduced volume. This usually happens when I power up the equipment although it may have occurred while watching a movie once. The fix is a sub power cycle.

I only run the home theater a couple of hours during weekdays and longer on weekends.

You see I never know when I turn on the equipment if the sub is OK or not so for the last couple of months I have taken to playing back a 35 Hz tone at my normal listening levels to ensure the sub is ok. The fact that I have to do this just bugs the hell out of me.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I am not sure what the cause can be but one thought is that maybe a protection circuit kicks in to reduce volume and somehow gets stuck.

To make matters worse, the sub makes a buzzing/vibrating sound at about 40Hz which is also very annoying. I did open tickets for both issues and I have removed the amp looked around for anything obvious.

Anyway the sub is awesome but I am really quite disappointed to the point that I am considering getting rid of it and getting another non-axiom. I also have QS4s which are very nice and was planning to get fronts and a center to replace my Polks but that won't happen now I think.

Any advice would be most welcome.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.