I read about this native 2.35:1 projector and I don't understand why this was not done earlier.

http://hometheaterreview.com/digital-projection-debuts-native-2351-projector/

They just added some extra pixels horizontally so that when you display a 16:9 image it is still 1080p. No messing with an anamorphic lens and reducing the brightness and contrast by doing so. And no need to optically stretch the image either.

This projector is what Home Theater is all about. Having a 2.35 movie that is more enveloping than a 16:9 movie. Yet we are getting 3D displays that most people don't really want and it seems that there is a push to maybe having 4k displays, yet there is no content right now. It seems like the movie studios and companies producing displays are trying to give us what they want and not what we want.

The bad thing about the projector though is that it costs around $30,000 to $50,000, but I don't see why any projector brand couldn't implement the same idea with a very small increase in the overall cost of the projector. Maybe we can send an e-mail to JVC and Sony and down the line get reasonably priced projectors that are native 2.35:1.