I have a buddy who is having a new house built. He and his wife want to buy a flat panel TV. Their current TV is a 27" CRT Sony.. non HD TV.

They would like to spend no more than 700$, and My buddy wants it to last at least 10 years.

I told him that i though a plasma would be a good idea, however i do not know how long plasma's usually last? I think LED/LCD last longer? With LCD tv's not having as nice of a picture as a plasma.

They were also told by a sales person at Best Buy that they will want external speakers, the sales guy recommended a center channel speaker array thing, that was not super expensive but would get the job done.

My buddy is not big into HT, as you may guess from the 27" CRT non HD tv... So i would like to be able to give him a realistic product to look at, however i don't know much about what is available with flat panel Tv's. I am hoping that some of you guys can help me help my buddy.

Thanks!

P.S. he is hoping to buy a TV on Friday when he thinks he might be able to get the best deal at Best Buy. I know Amazon sells a lot of TV's if there is an online retailer that you guys recommend i think he would be ok with that.

Last edited by dakkon; 11/24/11 12:43 AM.