Originally Posted By: Socketman
Im curious whether anyone here has upgraded from M80 v2 to the v3. Is the difference a real improvement.The reason i ask is there are v2's still available at a reduced price,but im willing to go full boat if it's a serious improvement. I considered the golden ear triton's but 2750 is a lot of beans,plus tax and shipping.Has anyone auditioned the tritons?
I have M2's now and will move them to rear surround duty or into my boudoir smile .

I have heard the Triton and they are a nice speaker and because of their configuration, sound, of course, somewhat different than the M80. However, realistic comparisons were difficult because I only heard them in the store(Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto). They cost a lot more to begin with because you are now dealing with distributors and retailers who are taking their piece of the action. The trouble with the Triton models is if you wish to get a matching center channel the last time I looked, they only have one small model which really is not going to compare with the VP180 or forthcoming VP160. You could get M80s and a VP180 or VP160 and especially in a Home Theater application still spend less money for an overall better sound.

As far as any difference between the V2 and V3 configurations, I moved from a pair of V2 M60s to V3 M80s and quite frankly the difference, to my ears anyway, was marginal at best, so to go from V2 to V3 M80s is something I doubt, in day to day usage, you could realistically audibly hear. Room acoustics and other issues(source: audio/video) will have a greater affect on what you are hearing than moving from the V2 to V3 version of the same model especially a large multi-driver floor standing speaker like the M80.