This is another budget turntable that gets pretty good reviews.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-RP1-Turntable?sc=2&category=46

Also, for the Rega's there are a lot of upgrades that one can make to improve the quality of play back. I decided not to get a rega, because if i do choose to "upgrade" i will buy another table, and didn't want to wind up buying small upgrades for an entry level table (i know i would have wanted to "tinker" and modify it), and wind up having way more $$ into the table than i planned on.

I only have 2 records right now, and they are both in pretty horrible condition. However, i can say there IS a difference in the "sound" between the vinyl that i have and all of the digital music i have heard on the same system.. Can i say it sounds better.. nope, but it is different.. I also got to experience some of the "ticks and pops " that Alan was talking about.. However, it made for a different experience, maybe imperfection is more enjoyable for some, the imperfection adds to the experience.

So, for now i am stuck with my 2 records, one of which is an Iron Maiden record that i bought at a garage sale when i was around 10, because as Alan pointed out the artwork is pretty interesting on some of these records...

I am going to try to get some Jimi Hendrix, and Lenny Kravitz records soon. I went to half price books yesterday, but they did not have anything that i was interested in. Going though the records was a new experience for me though, you don't get the same experience from pushing the "download now" button....

bluejay, there was a project 2.1 turntable on CL in my area for 150$, used... The same guy had the Dual CS5000 that i wound up buying. Members of the vinyl form i have joined said the Dual would be a MUCH wiser buy. I made the conscious decision to buy used, because...

A) if i decide that vinyl is not my thing... if i buy something that is fully depreciated then i should get close to 100% of my money back upon resale.

B) if i decide i like vinyl and want to upgrade, i will be able to sell my first table for close to 100%, due to it being fully depreciated.. laugh

I bought this preamp, it seems to be the most popular and highest regarded in the price range i wanted to be within.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Cambridge-Audio-Azur-640P-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=35249

If you look at the vinylengine link i posted earlier, there is a 40page thread on how to DIY upgrade this preamp, if you are handy with a soldering iron and want to tinker with the electronics.

Last edited by dakkon; 12/11/11 12:26 AM.