On the more serious but perhaps inane side of that topic. I read that article last night before going to bed so ended up in that annoying mental state where your brain starts uncontrollably contemplating a topic until it eventually goes into a loop mode where you just keep having the same thought over and over again until you go to sleep. Ummm, that does happen to you guys too right????

In any case, I was thinking about the reference of Higgs Bosun often being called the God Particle and how it is the last piece of the puzzle in the 'Standard Model' theory which is said to cover absolutely 'everything'. Everything that is except gravity, which remains to be yet a bit of another holy grail of sorts.

My thought that turned into the dreaded, half conscious loop was that in pretty much every model starting with "the big bang," gravity is actually the force that drives creation. If matter was not attracted to each other, then the vast majority of the particles would have continued spreading outward in a straight trajectory, forever increasing in distance from the center and in distance from each other as the constant vectors from the center drive them further and further from each other.

Yes there would have been some intermingling of particles in that first instance but there would never have been enough condensing to form large amounts of more complex particles, no giant pockets of gasses and elements forming, no condensing these gases into giant balls so dense that fusion spontaneously begins, creating a star. No planets and finally, no billions of years of randomly mixing elements until eventually a simple cell happens to occur and eventually a sentient life form evolves.

Setting religious theology aside, as this isn't at all meant to be a religious or anti-religious statement, I sleepily and probably deliriously present to you that if Higgs Bosun is the God particle, then gravity is the God force.

Last edited by Murph; 12/14/11 01:30 PM. Reason: clarity

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.