You have to consider that for some people, in any hobby,the "upgrade" or "tweak" itself is the hobby more than what it may do.
I know guys that tweak the hell out of their home computers and gain an extra 200-400mhz from the cpu.
Benchmarks even show some gains in some ways, of course, but how does this fundamentally change the functionality of my computer?

My OS opens up a whopping 2 seconds faster.
Yee haw.
My first person shooter game now gets me 4 more FPS going from 50 fps to 54 fps.
Yee haw.
My MS Office saves my file 0.01 seconds faster.
Oh boy, let's tweak some more, i can't get enough {sarcasm}.

I couldn't care less about such minimal gains (if any occur at all) from tweaking in any hobby, but to some, the tweak is part of that fun and charm.
How far you go, and how much you pay, depends on how fanatical you are about the hobby.

You'll find purists, antagonists and perfectionists in any hobby out there; cars, bikes, photography, video, audio, sports (anyone here think power drinks are anything more than KoolAid with a pinch of salt that actually hydrate a body any better or quicker than uh, plain old water?).

The hard part is just ignoring their blathering myths rather than being drawn into a constant and never ending circular argument of nonsense.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."