Hey Mark,
What programs / process are you using. I've been preparing (err procrastinating) for a while now in ripping some of Sharon's old vinyl. For the longest time, I did not have a turntable to use but over Christmas, my Parents luckily (err I mean sigh, now I have to get busy) lent us theirs.

Which leads me to my questions which I think suit this thread. Here is the situation in point form.

The Turntable is labeled as follows.
Technics DC Servo Automatic Turntable System SL-BD27.
Some research tells me it was fitted with a Panasonic P-24 P24 phono cartridge and a Panasonic Technics EPS-24CS EPS24CS needle stylus.

My Denon 3806 has phono inputs but I'm 'somewhat sure' that it has no preamp. I will have to dig one of those up.

Goal is digitizing music for nostalgic reasons just so it's not totally lost. We are not shooting for serious listening qualty and neither are we concerned about making audiophile reproductions.

My Questions.
1. Advice on obtaining a budget pre-amp. (This was previously hooked to a larger Technics, component stereo system that was too big to conveniently borrow, plus it would leave them without music for the duration.)

2. The cartridge is the original and hasn't been used in years. How can I determine if it should be replaced. Again, we are not looking for audiophile reproductions but if a small investment = greatly improved results, we would try it.

I haven't listened to vinyl since I was a kid so I'm not sure if I could identify a poor or worn out cartridge since the source material is not going to pristine to begin with.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.