ah ha
ok, I will try to explain. I was just looking at the back of the Axiom subs. Ok, there used to be High Level inputs and outputs. Now they just have high level in. Don't understand that, if your running speaker wires to the HL in then it terminates.
anyways, there are on some sub or older ones a High pass filter.
before the LFE jack. You would run your front speaker wires to the R/L line level input of the sub. It would filter the cutoff frequencies ..( 80hz and below ) and then on the output side you would continue the speaker wire run to the speaker and the sub would pass the 80hz and up to the speaker.

with my last Denon I can set the individual speakers to large/small. Also, set the filter cutoff to each seperately. So what I am thinking is setting the LFE to the front three to LFE + Mains, and set the surrounds to large, with no cut off in the frequency. There fore I will use my sub and 8" under each raer channel run te speaker wire to the sub, using the high pass filter on the sub, ste the cut off to 90hz, then pass it to the speaker. So, the sub will take 90hz and down and pass the remainder to the speaker 90hz and up. So, when I have say some bottom end coming to the left rear, the bottom end will appear to come from the rear left. This way my front subs will be doing nothing. There's not a lot of volume low end to the rear channels anyways, but it will allow the rear to have full control from 30hz and up individually.
My feeling is that if say a door slams or something low frequency happens to the left side that the bottom end shouldn't fill the room or appear to come from the front. I know low frequencies are not directional, but if the front sub is pushing out a 80 signal I am going to hear it from the front and it will appear that even though the door closes from the back side I get the higher frequencies from the rear, but the bottom boom part seems to fill the room. SO, this way if that door closes and then the front subs won't play any sound, but the rear left will and it will get the full frequency range and the sub will play the 80hz down and the low end will fill the room from that side. It will not b at a high volume, so will most likely dissperse before it gets a chance to fill the room.
Kinda like throwing a rubber baseball, if I throw it from the front subs hard it is going to bounce around loud. Or maybe a softer throw, and if I threw the ball from the left rear, it is not so pwerful so the ball may go as far as hitting me in the head from my back. If there's a big explosion, well then the front subs are going to over power the rears anyways and you want that room to fill and rumble.

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry