Mike, I suppose that's why I began the previous reply with "if you mean". I interpreted what you were saying to be the fairly common observation that after the calibration(with the sub correctly set to equal level with the speakers)the receiver had set the sub trim much lower than the speakers(e.g., speakers at +2dB, sub at -8dB). This is no big deal and running the calibration again with the level control on the back of the sub set lower brings the sub balance point closer to 0.

I see that what you really mean is that the sub level, as measured with an SPL meter, is actually 10dB too low after the calibration. This of course can be easily corrected manually, but no explanation for the difference immediately comes to mind. The Denon manuals do have a 10dB sub attenuation setting that can be applied for certain material, but this isn't the default, and doesn't accidentally get set during an auto-calibration. Generally, as you noted with your 3808, the auto calibration would be at least as accurate as a manual calibration with an SPL meter.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.