Hello

Being my age (old) and "out of the loop" on HT for the past 10 -15 years, I had to do some significant research over the past 6-8 months before making a move to fill my newly finished basement with HT toys. The last music system I purchased only had two speaker outputs, and CD, AUX and PHONO inputs. All of my comments should therefore be considered of the newbie variety.

Unlike most of you, I am buying everything from scratch vs. upgrading, because essential, there is nothing to upgrade.

The company I work with is a major supplier to Denon so I took advantage of their offer to get the 5900 DVD player and 4802 AVR at a tremendous discount Note that I wasn't smart enough to know that the Denon Link can only be used between the 5900 and the larger 5802 AVR.

I tried to listen to as many speakers as possible, but nothing under $8K a pair sounded that great up here in NH, and my budget is in the $2-4K vicinity for a complete set.

I was fortunate to audition some Rockets at a nearby residence several months ago, and they immediately made my target list.

I have also been intrigued with the Axiom's based on the enthusiastic users online. Although I haven't heard them yet, I have decided to take advantage of the 30 day try out offer and test the Axiom M60's against the Rockets with my own gear in my own house. I figure this is really the only way to audition them. I got the idea of course from this board (thanks).

So everything arrived this week and now I am struggling to hook everything up. I am going to focus on the two mains first for 30 days, then worry about the surrounds, center and video later. Here are some initial impressions without actually listening to anything:

1. Denon's manuals absolutely suck
2. Both Onix & Axiom have the nicest and most knowledgable staffs that I have ever encountered. Both graciously accepted this challenge and neither tried to sway me with salespeak. Both were confident the music would do the talking.
3. Both speakers look fabulous. They are about the same size.
4. Clearly I am over my head in technology. The back of the 4802 has more inputs than the Mustang Ranch. Jumping from what I had to this is like Fred Flinstone stepping out of the brontosaurus-mobile into a Porsche. I have called for reinforcements. I hope to get everything hooked up before my thirty days are over.
5. Did I mention the Denon manuals suck?

I will try to keep you posted. I will be posting the same comments on the Onix (AV123) board.

I would like to thank all those on this board who have already graciously provided me with assistance.

-drmurray

Last edited by drmurray; 03/16/04 10:19 PM.