I've been trying to decide on a TV for my new basement HT. I've already spent some time looking around and thinking about this but I'm hoping you folks will have some wisdom that helps me make up my mind!

The only requirement I have for this is no projectors. I'm only going to be sitting 9-10' back from the display, the cost is high and frankly I currently don't feel like dealing with all the learning and adjusting I'd have to make for one.

So as I said I'll be sitting roughly 9' back from the TV, the room is wide (23'), 6-8 seats across. No windows so brightness is not an issue.

I do have a list of wants. Here are the main ones in order of importance.

1)<= $1500
2)70 inches
3)Wall mountable
(this would put the TV as far back as possible and the center channel would be much happier without a TV stand to deal with)

The (initial) contenders:

Sharp LCD (LED) 70 inches
I'm not sure which model at this point

Pros:
Large
Good reviews (picture quality)
Fairly thin (unimportant really), wall mountable
Energy efficient

Cons:
Cost $2200+

Panasonic Plasma 65 inches
I'm not sure which model at this point

Pros:
Cost - base model $1500ish
Good reviews (picture quality)
Fairly thin (unimportant really), wall mountable

Cons:
Not 70 inches
Cost - better models over $1500
Energy inefficient (not too concerned about it)
Base model has a very ugly bezel

Mits 73inch DLP
Freaking bazillion models of it

Pros:
Cheap! - as low as $900ish
Large!
Fairly energy efficient

Cons:
Needs TV stand frown
Not the greatest side viewable

I'm wondering is it's a little early to be in the 70 inch TV market as there aren't many choices. I have a 51 inch Samsung plasma in our living room that I'm pretty happy with but the fact that (other than those giant 135inch) plasmas top off at 65 is frustrating. Yes, that 5 inches is somewhat of a big deal to me. This is why I'm considering the DLP. My previous TV was a Samsung DLP and I was pretty happy with it as well. Since the current 73 inch Mits are so damn cheap I feel like I should get one and then replace it 3 - 4 years down the road.

I walked into our Costco the other day, they had the 80 inch Sharp sitting right next to the 70 inch. Made the 70 look small. frown But seeing that $4500 price tag made me stop caring about that. laugh