You know I can't resist the metro threads.

I don't care about having everything match.

I don't know. It depends on what you cook. I don't think you can beat the French-made, enamel-on-cast-iron Le Creuset stuff, so I'd buy as much of that in as many shapes and sizes as I could.

And I think that nonstick frying pans are a disposable item. So, I just buy cheaper versions (usually the Farberware Millennium) every couple years rather than spend $200 on one and pretend its going to last forever.

Which leaves you with stockpots, saucepans and skillets-in-which-to-develop-frond. I don't think stockpots are that big a deal; I settled on American-made Vollrath. It might have rivets, but that stuff is awesome.

Seriously, how often do you use saucepans and how many do you need? Just fork over the money for a few of the Mauviel Copper or Demeyere ones.

We got lucky (20 years ago) and bought a set of All-Clad clone stuff at Costco. Still have it.

Overall - honestly - I think you can make too much of cookware. It's the chef and the technique that matter. I'm pretty sure most of the stuff I see at restaurant supply houses is of much lower quality than the products you're looking at.

Do you have NG or propane?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem