Things I have learned from this board....

Most modern receivers that have inputs marked "phono" have a pre-amp built into them to compensate for the fact that turntables produce a much weaker signal and do need to be boosted. Different combos of turntables and pre-amps will result in different output levels.

Also required and is likely present in your receiver since it has phono inputs, is a turntable specific equalizer. Bass levels are greatly reduced during the recording process so that the cutting lathe (or whatever it's called) doesn't destroy the master record in reacting to the bass. The equalizer working with the pre-amp boosts the signal at key frequency areas to smooth out the signal back to the intended sound.

Your receiver sounds good, just needs a volume twist, so it is probably fine. However, you could always purchase a dedicated phono preamp to boost and equalize the signal from the turntable before it hits the receiver.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you use a pre-amp, you want to plug it into one of your regular stereo inputs instead of the phono jacks. Both because the phono jacks are expecting a weaker signal and also because you probably would not want to doubly apply the equalization.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.