Originally Posted By: AdrianD
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Adrian, if that's all you're trying to say, there's nothing to discuss: nobody has made such a statement.

I must've misread then, for which I apologize. Honestly.

Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
You're in luck. There was an excellent response from Andrew Welker on this very topic.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=385526#Post385526

Great find; thanks for posting the link. Although it's not so much for my benefit; I just thought someone with more experience in the field and with a better command of the English language than me can explain things better. Andrew is spot on.

Originally Posted By: fredk
That's why companies have marketing departments, to convince you of things that just aren't so. SUVs and safety in slippery conditions are a prime example of this.

I'm sorry, but this comment is not warranted; I just post in this thread a test I did that has nothing to do with any marketing department. If you buy based on marketing don't assume everyone is doing the same.

Originally Posted By: fredk
FWIW we do have commodity amps. They're called pro amps and the most recent generation of class D amps deliver a lot of bang for the buck.

Again, in this thread, I've posted a question: why aren't everyone buying the Behringer amp that for a paltry $380 delivers no less than 1,400W into two channels and 4,000W bridged? Why would Axiom produce the ADA line of amps for a few times the price of the Behringer?
And most important... why are people buying them? You cannot honestly believe that everyone not buying a pro amp is an idiot, do you?

With pro amps like the Behringer they can have noisy fans because they can operate at very hot temperatures (especially when you push them). The fans raise the rooms noise floor quite substantially in a residential environment. The fans are detrimental to sound quality so most people swap them out with a quieter after market version. Most pro amps are designed to live with higher noise floor and distortion than say the ADA amps. With pro amps output impedance might be high enough to affect the frequency response of the loudspeaker. Or even frequency response non-linearities at increasing power output levels. Bench tests are really important for pro amps. It won't tell you everything how the amp will sound but it will indeed show problems. The quality of pro amps varies substantially in the market even within the Behringer line from model to model. Pro amps are definitely not for everyone and amps like the ADA certainly have some trade-off advantages over them.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne