Recycled thread! smile

My inquiry is prompted by my increasing fascination with the possibilities of AppleTV. I might want to give it a go as a music client and to put iPad content onto the bigger screen.

Two problems.

First, my trusty old Onkyo 805 only has 3 HDMI inputs. While my ancient TV has two, the switching and audio routing on the TV is sufficiently cumbersome as to merit derision but not consideration.

Two of the three HDMI inputs on the Onkyo are taken by the DirecTV and the blue-ray player. We use those a lot and I don't want to mess with them, especially relative to programming the remote.

The third input is currently used for XBox 360. That's the one I want to split with the AppleTV.

My first inclination was to get a Monoprice switcher and be done with it. But there are a lot of models, and I thought I'd try to check with you all about both specific item numbers, and also whether you know any perils of trying to get my two particular devices to play nice. Does the AppleTV ever really turn itself off?

Second problem is that if I use the ATV for a music client, I need to deliver both analog and digital sound to the Onkyo, because a lot of my music consumption is in Zone2.

Is there a single box out there that will not only switch the HDMI but also do DAC work?

Or is this going to require multiple devices or end up being "just get a new receiver so never mind"?

Reminder - cheap.

Thanks!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem