Cam, Nick, Shawn - this is just EXCELLENT. Exactly the sort of input I was looking for. THANK YOU so much for taking the time to advise me! smile

I had already identified sonicelectronix as a potential vendor (from previous but unfulfilled shopping excursions).

I'm not planning on doing a full-on system in one shot. Right now, I'm looking at the front speakers and a head unit. I understand the value of the amp and the rears and appreciate the specific recommendations, but they are out of scope (and budget) for my immediate goals.

I had also already identified the JVC units, so that was really validating!

I'm still a little verklept about the front speaker fit. I'm NOT good at dismantling car interiors (despite a number of amateur experiences 20-25 years ago). So, I really want the MasterSheets from Crutchfield to guide me. Likewise, I don't have DIN tools or any clue about swapping decks. I can usually figure that stuff out, but it irritates me when blundering through a 15 minute process takes me 3 hours.

So, the Crutchfield guy said that the front speakers are a non-standard size and they are recommending 5.25" with a bracket. I think part of this could be because of the 2" mounting depth Nick identified, but I don't know.

And, no, I don't want to pay somebody for installation. This is already - for us - a somewhat lavish birthday present. It started with Mrs. Tuttle saying "can you get Andy some speakers for <$100?" and when I realized the factory deck doesn't even include a CD player, I expanded. Neither Andy nor Alex are very handy, so going through this installation together will probably help all of us learn and grow.

Thanks again!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem