John, in my case, i find that the text in 5-5. is most important:
"Section 5-5.:
A Listening Position is the point where the center of the listener's head would be. Especially at the PLP, always use the center of head location, not beside or in front of or above it - this strongly affects Audyssey MultEQ's ability to deliver good Image Clarity (details follow). This point will be affected by furniture design and construction as they affect where the listener's head will be positioned. Of course, it is valid to include analysis points a few inches left, right, forward, up, or down to allow for positioning variation if the sound tonality at those points is not dramatically different from the sound at the center of that area. If the sound at an LP has a big, annoying peak in the midrange frequencies when you lean forward six inches, you will only end up with a duller sound elsewhere by including that point in the analysis. Better to leave out that point and remember not to lean forward."

i chose a modified Case 8 - Mic Pattern: Wide1H
because it's the one that should give me the best results according to the room and where i sit and my needs for the best possible F.R. and Image Clarity (sound stage imaging).

i left out positions 3 and 4 because i never sit 3 inches up from my usual listening position.

i also left out positions 7 and 8 as no one ever sits in those positions; the seat at my right is used only about once a month.

Positions 5 and 6 are positions for the 2 ears.

Positions 3 and 4 concentrate the corrections even more on the head region, front and back.

Position 2 gives more emphasis to the most important center-of-head.

these positions i've chosen are what i could call an "educated best guess" on my part.
the coming weeks will tell me if i made a good guess or if i should rethink those mic positions.
so far, the only thing that i need to double check is to see if the front stage speakers are exactly the same distance from the MLP, as it's one of the most important parameters to check before running Audyssey.

About the DPLII/Neo:6 question, i can't understand what could be the reason that our results are so different. my best guess would be that our speaker/room combination is different enough to make such a difference in sound imaging.
all the listening tests i've done were with acoustic music, like chamber orchestra or jazz.
using Neo:6 also integrates the listener more inside the acoustic hall ambiance (more immersive), contrary to DPLII that seems to put the listener more outside, more on the edge, of that acoustic ambiance.

have a super day, ya'all!

Last edited by J. B.; 07/18/13 01:12 PM.