Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
That's where I was headed. And I might still be headed there.

If you're going to have the post there ANYWAY, you're never going to get the aesthetics (or perfect acoustics) that you want if it's just "out there" in the middle of the room. So, my inclination would be to make a more perfect rectangle out of that end of the room. 14.5 feet is still a pretty nice, wide space; you'll still be able to get a 130" 16:9 screen in there with a couple feet on each side.

How far back is the seating compared to the fridge?

While the acoustics still won't be perfect with the post, a slender post as opposed to a wall out into the room seems far superior.

I'd hate to lose the extra width because of the LFR1100s. I want there to be room to play with on either side of the screen so I can do some meaningful tweaking. That being said, I'm not going to have a 130" screen. I was originally wanting around 100", but with other parts of the basement encroaching on what was going to dedicated to the HT portion, and not really seeing how to do a second row of seating on a riser when the ceilings are so low, anyway, I'm liking the idea of one of the 84" 4K TVs with seating closer to the screen whenever those become affordable. And then I won't have to learn about projectors. Ha ha.

I'm not sure exactly where the seating will end up, simply because I don't know a final screen size (looking at a 70" 1080p until bigger 4Ks are common and affordable), or the ultimate positioning of the speakers, which I'll want to experiment with. I'm imagining the seating will end up pretty close to in line with where that proposed refrigerator enclosure will be.

I may be able to compromise and have that wall for the enclosure sticking out only 6" or so into the room by sticking it against the wall where the side of the equipment closet is. The post will still be out into the room, of course, but like I said, I don't think a slender post will affect acoustics nearly as much.