I'd agree with Boltron. Well, I'm not sure if my playback quality is better. Equal for sure. However, the advantages are worth the initial effort, but only for those people who enjoy the effort or feel it's worth.

For me, having one device and a common, really easy to use interface for all of my movies, music, and photos is a huge convenience. From this same box, I also have access to Netflix, Youtube, Internet Radio and several other streaming services. Any you care to use, really.

I also moved my Squeezebox server to it so it's doing double duty for broadcasting music upstairs. It also houses my digital comic collection. However, I pretty much just read those on my tablet. Although, it is kind of fun now and then to see a full, double-page image of Batman smashing through a window on a 60" TV.

I also set up Splashtop Remote (I liked the Android App for this one) so I if I forget to set a timer or I need a download, I can do it remotely and it's ready when I get there.

Personally, I had a lot of fun and satisfaction building it and it's something that between my wife and I, it gets used every day. Wake on LAN is finally working properly for me now so it's not using much power at all until I press a button on the remote or something like my Squeezebox wakes it up.

Also, as an added bonus, if you have some long term company/kids/etc. that you are tired of entertaining, you show them all the content on your HTPC and they don't come out of the basement for hours.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.