Originally Posted By: Captain4105
I've had my M80's since the v3's came out. They are powered by a Denon 55w per channel receiver. At times I worry about possible distortion and resultant speaker damage at certain peak levels so I want to upgrade to a more powerful receiver or amp to protect my speakers.

I have read about the benefits of having sufficient power and reserve power for peaks in these threads. I do not listen at reference levels, and my listening is strictly classical, but I do listen with sufficient volume that allows me to hear the full spectrum of the instruments in an orchestra.

If I upgraded, say to a 125w per channel receiver (e.g. Denon's X-4000 or X-3000 or the like) would I hear more detailed and quality sound from the M80's at a level a notch or two less than reference than from a 55w receiver? If so could I get a similar result with less power than 125w? (I have a sub with its own power supply). Or would the obverse be necessary? My goal is quality and detailed sound from the M80's.

From what I can determine from my reading I am thinking anywhere from 90w to 125w per channel should be sufficient. Thanks for your comments. Happy New Year.

I would suggest that if you are happy with the AVR you presently own and it has "pre-outs", it would probably be more beneficial and less costly to purchase a separate multi-channel power amp, i.e from Outlaw or Emotiva which offer really good equipment at reasonably prices PLUS the significant advantages of actually having the power you need with all channels driven and the ability to handle any type of speakers. Of course, if you want to really get in to it and you are capable of spending the extra money, then, of course, the Axiom amps are the next level.

It has been discussed many times but generally AVRs state power levels using one or two channels driven only and when all the channels are functioning, power levels significantly drop. Separate power amps negate that problem.