Originally Posted By: Socketman
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Yes, speaker "break-in", to the extent that it's sometimes claimed to exist is largely nonsense. Periods of use requiring weeks or even months are promoted occasionally and it's been said that "break-in was invented so that we couldn't return anything"! An initial permanent break-in which would take no more than a minute or so(and often would take place in factory testing before being shipped)would show a measurable "loosening" of the driver. Every time a speaker is turned off it partially reverts over a period toward its unused state, but this immediately returns to the "broken-in" state a second or so after being turned on again.

Dr. Toole and others point out the lack of any long term audible changes(in blind listening tests)which can be observed. This may be fortunate. I now have about 30,000 hours on my M22s and if some long-term changes were occurring they certainly would have reached the optimum point long ago and now would be well into a period of deteriorating performance. Instead they continue to sound identically excellent as they did when I fired them up with "The Planets" when first received.

I will take real world experience every time. Watch this Video made by Andrew Welker ,and a 3.54 you will hear Andrew explain the frequency sweep used, and the sweep does not move the drivers appreciably. Your response, no matter how eloquent,implies that people who hear a difference are idiots and that is not the case.

Richard

IMO I think any changes to the driver occur because of the rise in the VC temperature more than the actual physical excursion of the drive-unit.

But its been shown in tests that the driver parameters after the signal is turned off and the VC is left to cool back to its room temperature state, the changes in the T/S parameters are negligible. Unless of course you push the VC temperature so high to the point it permanently destroys the drive unit.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne